Date Updated: April 12, 2019
Information We Collect
The information we collect varies, depending on the way you use our Site, products, or services. We collect and/or receive information in the ways described below.
You are not required to provide any personal information to browse or access the public area of the Site. However, to access or use certain NCBE services you may be required to provide personal information. “Personal information” is information that is unique to you, and we may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- name, including any formerly used names
- email address
- telephone number
- date of birth
- Social Security or national identification number
- credit card or debit card number
- information regarding your legal education, background, credentials, and related matters
Personal information does not include anonymized, aggregate, or statistical information.
How to Access or Correct Your Personal Information
To access or correct your personal information that you provided through the Site, use the Contact Us form or the link to update your preferences in the email notifications you receive.
Automatically Collected Information
Our Site automatically collects certain information about your use of our Site that does not personally identify you. This information includes the following:
- Information about your Site activity
When you browse our Site, we collect IP address (static or dynamic), browser type and language, operating system, domain server, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time of visit, length of session, the pages you visited while on the Site, and similar data.
- Information about your device
When you interact with our Site, we collect information about your device including type of computer or device, operating system and version (e.g., iOS, Android, Windows), carrier and country location, and similar data. Additional information collected from your device may include any of the following: Universally Unique ID (UUID), Advertising Identifier (IDFA), MAC address, hardware and processor information (e.g., storage, chip speed), and network type (e.g., WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE).
Use of Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics to track interaction with specific features of the Site. You can opt out of Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use your information to provide, analyze, administer, enhance, and personalize our Site and the related products and services we provide to you. We also use your information to communicate with you and to conduct our business. Generally, NCBE uses your information to carry out its mission to serve the bar admissions community, and more specifically, uses it to
- provide services and products requested by you;
- respond to an inquiry or message you send us through the Contact Us form;
- provide you with updates, reminders, or other information about products and services that you have ordered or that may interest you;
- analyze and improve our Site or products and/or services;
- personalize your Site experience;
- protect you and NCBE from fraudulent transactions, and investigate inappropriate or unauthorized use of NCBE services, products, accounts, or intellectual property or other assets;
- comply with applicable laws, regulations, or contractual requirements, or respond to subpoenas or government requests; and
- fulfill any other purpose you request or consent to.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
NCBE shares and discloses your information for various purposes in order to provide you with the Site and related products and/or services and to conduct our business, including as follows:
- to service providers (including consultants, payment processors, data hosting and storage providers, and data analytics service providers);
- when NCBE reasonably believes it is needed to (i) respond to information requests by law enforcement or other governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or other legal process, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, malicious activity, or inappropriate, unauthorized, or illegal activity involving our examinations, services, or networks; or (iv) enforce or protect our rights and property, including intellectual property;
- in the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, as part of the transferred assets; or
- in accordance with any consent to use or share your information that you provide us.
We may also share anonymized and aggregate data that does not identify you personally, such as for research and analytics purposes.
NCBE will retain your personal information for as long as we deem appropriate and necessary in accordance with our legitimate interests and to comply with any applicable laws, regulations, and/or contractual requirements.
NCBE has physical, technical, and administrative safeguards in place to protect your personal information. Despite our security measures, no data transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure. As a result, we cannot and do not warrant the security of your personal information.
Messages that you send to us by email, including by use of the Contact Us form on the Site, may not be secure, and use of email is not recommended for sending us confidential or sensitive information.
Links to Third-Party Websites
For your convenience, we may provide links to other websites and web pages that we do not control. NCBE does not endorse and is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any such linked websites. If you submit information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy policies. For information about how other organizations, including testing-administration agencies, may collect and use your personal information, you should review their respective privacy policies when applicable to you.
This Site is not directed to children under 13 years old. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13 years of age, and persons under 13 years of age should not submit any personal information to NCBE.
United States Privacy Laws
NCBE is located in the United States. By providing your information, you consent to the processing of your information in the United States.
NCBE can also be contacted at
National Conference of Bar Examiners
302 South Bedford Street
Madison, WI 53703-3622